Stec Records Forum - Discussions about software and hardware used to make music.
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest.

Login with username, password and session length

November 22, 2017, 11:30:50 PM
logo
gfxgfx
gfxgfx

If you registered as a user but have not been approved, your email address or IP address may be listed at http://www.stopforumspam.com and was rejected.  Contact us (http://www.stecrecords.com/contact.php) if you believe this was in error.
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Calendar Login Registergfx
The Stec Records Forum  |  Audio Gear  |  MPX G2  |  Front panel blocking « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front panel blocking  (Read 1093 times)
bsellon
Chief Administrator
Administrator

Time reveals truth.

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »

> Can I use the air solder and a good flux  to fix it ?

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. Go easy on the new solder and heat. The problem is usually one tiny crack.   
Slavikator

unregistered visitor

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »

Senk's fo the reply. Very useful information. After re-installing  the ROM it still working perfectly. If the problem will come back I can reflow bad solder that you commented. Can I use the air solder and a good flux  to fix it ?  I have a lot of experience soldering different  things, including very small contacts. But I think that the best way to resold bad solder is doing it using hot air and good flux. To avoid possible errores.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:44:12 PM by Slavikator » Logged
bsellon
Chief Administrator
Administrator

Time reveals truth.

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »

If the problem went away by re-installing the ROM there is a pretty good chance it will return. Pressing on the board to plug in the chip flexes it temporarily fixing cold solder joints. The good news is that the problem might not be a bad part which could be hard or impossible to find and replace. A lot of times bad solder can be fixed by just reflowing it; touching it with a soldering iron and adding new solder. The bad news is that it can be tricky figuring out which connection is bad and many of them on the G2 are extremely small so you need a good soldering iron to handle it. Since the device still passes audio but has an unresponsive UI the problem is probably related to the z80 processor. There are address and data lines that run between the z80, the ROM and SRAM which would cause this kind of problem if broken. The z80 also connects to the Lexichip and 2186 but I don't think that problems there would affect the user interface.  The z80 also handles midi so lack of midi control is another indicator that the z80 crashed. Sometimes the solder connections get tiny, almost invisible, cracks but I've also seen chemical reactions from flux and other substances on the board to cause weird growths to appear and interfere with the connections. They are rare but I've personally observed a case where the chemical reaction caused a low resistance path to be created between adjacent etches. The board literally grew new etches. Weird stuff. 

If you know how to use a soldering iron, it's worth doing a close inspection of the motherboard under a bright light and reflowing any questionable connections but it's easy to mess things up so care must be taken.

One thing I was going to ask was if you'd had the problem show up when you were using the G2 in more than one venue.  The power supplies on the G2 are pretty good but brown-outs (brief interruptions in AC power) could cause unexpected behavior like this.  This can happen if you have an electric heater or some other big appliance on the same power line as the G2.
Slavikator

unregistered visitor

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »

Ok. It was the problem of the removable chip. After re-installing the ROM  it is working well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:45:59 PM by Slavikator » Logged
Slavikator

unregistered visitor

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »

Yes. I can play but cant change nothing.
bsellon
Chief Administrator
Administrator

Time reveals truth.

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »

Is the audio still getting processed while the front panel is blocked?
Slavikator

unregistered visitor

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:42:35 AM »

My G2 is working perfectly during some time (2-3 hours) and then the front panel is blocking. After restarting I can play another 1,2,3 hours until its will be blocked. Any idea about that?
The Stec Records Forum  |  Audio Gear  |  MPX G2  |  Front panel blocking « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: