Stec Records Forum - Discussions about software and hardware used to make music.
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest.

Login with username, password and session length

November 22, 2017, 11:47:20 PM
logo
gfxgfx
gfxgfx

If you registered as a user but have not been approved, your email address or IP address may be listed at http://www.stopforumspam.com and was rejected.  Contact us (http://www.stecrecords.com/contact.php) if you believe this was in error.
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Calendar Login Registergfx
The Stec Records Forum  |  Audio Gear  |  MPX G2  |  G2 input problems « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: G2 input problems  (Read 2324 times)
Keith
Lexicon Repairs
Administrator

Stec Records Forum PD

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »

Good alternate fix Bob. But if I start to see many of these will be worth looking into finding a drop in replacement pot.

I want to revise my first statement, the customer stated, there was no output at all on left channel not low output. Going through guitar input after tuning return send pot. I got output clear as a bell on left output. But I am not convinced yet the problem is solved as this customer uses the return send on his G2. I need to try to replicate his setup the way he uses it to see if maybe there is something in the return send circuit that may be stopping the left output.

I have not seen any problems with the return send level pot on a G2 yet, this would be a first. On the other hand the LXP's pots mostly input and output are notorious for going bad.

Mapex Pro M Maple standard, Pearl 800 series cymbal stands, Vex hi hat stand, Pearl P201P double bass pedals, Tama mid level throne, All Zildjian A cymbals, 21" Rock Ride, 18" med thin crash, 16" med thin crash, 10" splash, 14" new beat hi hats.
bsellon
Chief Administrator
Administrator

Time reveals truth.

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »

I don't know how difficult it is to replace the pots but if they start getting funky like that it might be time to replace them or hard wire the settings. If pot is becoming intermittent but is not something the user messes with much, you might just find the user's preferred setting and replace the pot with resistors. You lose some flexibility but that bad pot will never ruin a gig again.  You can probably measure the resistance in the circuit but just need to mark the preferred position somewhere on the pot, remove it and measure the values to create a resistor pair.  You know it's going to be somewhere in the range of the pot.

You can get some info on resistors here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor
Keith
Lexicon Repairs
Administrator

Stec Records Forum PD

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »

I got a G2 in fro repair. Customer said the unit did not sound right and seemed to have low output. He sent the unit to me to check out. What I found was the level pot on the back of the G2 had not been turned or used probably for some time. when I first turned it I got a crackle and scratchy sound, after turning in back and forth  few times it cleared up. The G2 now sounds good. I suspect the problem was the level pit had not been used and a bit of dust, dirt, or corrosion had built up on the on the pots swipe contact and had caused  bad connection or continuity to the insert input return level. So if you use the insert return as your input and sound seem low, try turning the level pot back and forth  few times and see if that brings your output back.

Mapex Pro M Maple standard, Pearl 800 series cymbal stands, Vex hi hat stand, Pearl P201P double bass pedals, Tama mid level throne, All Zildjian A cymbals, 21" Rock Ride, 18" med thin crash, 16" med thin crash, 10" splash, 14" new beat hi hats.
The Stec Records Forum  |  Audio Gear  |  MPX G2  |  G2 input problems « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: