Stec Records Forum - Discussions about software and hardware used to make music.
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest.

Login with username, password and session length

November 21, 2017, 09:59:59 PM
logo
gfxgfx
gfxgfx

Check out our new MPX G2 Help Panel.
gfxgfx

gfx* Home Help Search Calendar Login Registergfx
The Stec Records Forum  |  Audio Gear  |  MPX G2  |  G2 Effects question « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: G2 Effects question  (Read 2146 times)
bsellon
Chief Administrator
Administrator

Time reveals truth.

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »

Yeah, that sounds right to me. The G2 really needed about 10,000 program slots instead of 250, and 50 user slots is woefully inadaquate. Unfortunately Flash memory was expensive in the 90s. I've prototyped a librarian for the G2 that monitors changes and automatically archives them but our newer set of tools also allow sharing and searching. We don't have a release date for the MIDI tool but it will probably be this winter.
alanu

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:39:04 AM »

Thanks for responding Bob. I spent some time comparing the programs in detail because I want to understand what tweaks make them unique. I found the Miprosoft G2 Patch Editor invaluable for this as it lets you quickly see all the program settings in one screen. Here's a quick summary of what I discovered:

Classic Detune: Programs 79 and 139 are identical - both have Fx1(shiftd). Program 210 adds +6dB to Fx1(shiftd), adds Delay(echod), adds Gain(preamp) but bypasses it, turns on Speaker Simulator (combo1brite), and decreases Post level by 4dB.

EnvFilter EP – Programs 7 and 106 are almost identical – both have Fx1(sweepfilter) but Program 106 removes Fx2(volumem), Delay(delayed), Insert, and Noise Gate. Program 215 adds a +6dB EQ (volume), adds Gain (tone) but bypasses it, turns on Speaker Simulator (combo1brite), and increases Post level by +6dB.

From what I can tell, all programs under ‘Amp Input + FX Loop’ and ‘Amp Input Only’ appear to have Insert bypass off (light on) and Speaker Simulator off. In most cases, same-named programs appear to be identical with some ‘Amp Input + FX Loop’ versions adding a few more effects like Fx2 and Delay.

All programs under 'Stand Alone' appear to have an active Gain block (usually preamp or tone) except program 215 (EnvFilter LP) where the Gain block is active but bypassed (I'm not sure why this is). Insert bypass is always on (light off) and Speaker Simulator is always on. I think what makes Stand Alone programs unique is an active Gain block (usually preamp or tone) which provides clean-boost and power for direct recording and driving amps. Some individual effects may also have added boost as well.

Does all this information sound reasonably correct or am I missing some obvious points that make programs under the 3 major groups unique?
-Al

bsellon
Chief Administrator
Administrator

Time reveals truth.

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »

Chapter 9 of the user's guide has a pretty good summary of the differences: "
The 250 MPX G2 programs are organized into three major groups:

1-99: Amp Input + FX Loop. programs designed to be used with the MPX G2 connected to a guitar amp with an effects loop

100-149: Amp Input Only. programs designed to be used with the MPX G2 connected to an amp with no effects loop

150-248: Stand Alone. programs designed to be used with the MPX G2 connected directly to a mixer or power amp
"

They basically wanted to have the same program available with tweaks made for the particular configuration.  I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure the effects, order, routing, properties and patches are the same. The Stand Alone configuration, for instance, might include the amp simulator. Typically you would just use the version that matches your configuration. 
alanu

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:29:02 AM »

Hi folks. I've noticed that there are several preset names that are repeated in the G2 - .one under each of the 3 output sections. Is there a way to find out what specific differences there are between these same-named presets? For example:

79 - Classic Detune (Amp Input + FX Loop)
139 - Classic Detune (Amp Input Only)
210 - Classic Detune (Stand Alone)

or

7 - EnvFilter LP (Amp Input + FX Loop)
106 - EnvFilter LP (Amp Input Only)
215 - EnvFilter LP (Stand Alone)

I'm trying to understand what parameters and routing have changed between each of the same-named presets..Any help is appreciated.
-Al
The Stec Records Forum  |  Audio Gear  |  MPX G2  |  G2 Effects question « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: