Stec Records Forum

Tools to make music

News: We are back.  We've updated the look of the forum with a new "theme" that works better on mobile devices. Also note that we check all new user requests for spam violations. If you believe you have been rejected unfairly please contact us and we will attempt to resolve it with you.  - Stecrew

Need some help regarding the Programs Article for the MPX G2....and one other.. (Read 4609 times)

• keep it simple..
Hi Bob,

first of all,... happy new year

yes, some kind of spread sheet showing all parameters of every effect block would be great. Especially for thoose who aren�t into MIDI connection with their PC or MAC....

regarding your question if I have more than one device.... sorry, no,, I only have one R2 and one R1 unit. UFO told me that he got a backup R2 unit a few weeks ago,...so he�s got at least two R2s. You know him much better than i do, so maybe ask him for help.

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
Yeah, the Dump Tool is a Windows app.  We'll eventually have a mac version as well but a USB MIDI interface is also required. 

I like the idea of a spread sheet or something like it.  I did some work on G2 support for our tool-set this year and this kind of thing will be easy to automate when we get that code released.

If I may ask, do you have more than one device you need to back-up and restore data to? 

I'm working on wizards and other high level functionality of the Dump Tool and am wondering how important the support for multiple devices is. I have quiet a few MIDI devices in my rig but I don't know how typical this is.

• keep it simple..
Hi Bob,

that dump tool sounds quite good but you have to connect your MPX unit with your mac/PC, right ?

I just thought of the MPX users who haven�t hooked their unit up with a Mac or a PC.

Sure, like you said, it�d be a lot of parameters that�d have to be written down.....

Maybe there�s an opportunity to set up a spreedcheat like mask where you can enter the effect settings . Just a thought...

any ideas from some other forum members.... ?

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
I like the idea of sharing program settings but be warned that there can be quite a few of them; 7 effects blocks, some with as many as 10 properties. On top of that, each program can have up to 5 patches (each with a source, a source min, mid and max, and a destination also with min, mid and max values), plus the speaker simulator and routing.  Quite a lot.

Our new Dump Tool will produce a summary of a G2 dump that would be suitable for posting but later versions will include sharing of dumps. It will eventually allow you to save and share block-level presets; combinations of property settings for each algorithm.  I've been thinking that it would be cool to optionally include a little sound byte for each dump so you could preview them.

• keep it simple..
Thanx a lot for your info Bob. I�ll try it out.
 Maybe it�d be a good Idea to set up a sticky thread where forum members can write down the settings for some good presets they want to share.
 For people who don�t have the opportunity to download the programs from the side that I mentioned in my first post, tha�d be very helpful, I guess...

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
The programs on our MPX G2 page are MIDI SysEx dump files that can be loaded into your G2 via MIDI. Many audio recording programs provide a facility for moving SysEx data to and from your device but if you're a Windows user, our MIDI Dumptool  will do the job as well. A google search for MIDI SysEx should turn up some other alternatives.

For UFO's space bass, my guess is that he's got a pitch shifter (Effect1:Shift(M)) with a Patch to the gas/expression pedal for the interval (Tune parameter); a common Patch is to have it go up an octave in the full-position. I would guess that that is feeding one of of the modulators, perhaps a Chorus:detuner, followed by a dual delay with some cross feedback, finally feeding the reverb. He appears to be doing the fade ins with his finger but there might be a second pedal involved.  Perhaps he'll pipe in with some deets or the dump.

I should mention that we're releasing a new version of the MIDI Dumptool that will simplify sharing of these dumps as well as the process of moving them in and out of your G2. We're shooting for a January 2014 release.

• keep it simple..
Hi folks,

I posted this to bob Sellon and he wrote me that i�d be the best to put it up here on the forum.

I hope you can help me, ragarding two questions...

my first question�s about the Lexicon MPX G2 Programs article on the StecRecords Webside. ( http://www.stecrecords.com/?RecordId=377&search_string= )

When I open this article a list with Titles is shown. When I click on a Title, my PC asks if I�d like to open the choosen file..... It�s a .sys file and I don�t know how to open them or to use them at all. Can you help me...?

The other question�s �bout something different,.... maybe you can give me just a little hint with which Effectblocks to start and in which direction I have to search for when I want to build up a preset to get sounds similar like this,...( by the way, I�m a bass player,too.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhOcr8K6Go&list=FLWe8vEIAVEswbpTOOPsSl4Q&feature=mh_lolz&hd=1

I�d be very glad if somebody�d help me with this....