Stec Records Forum

Tools to make music

News: We are back.  We've updated the look of the forum with a new "theme" that works better on mobile devices. Also note that we check all new user requests for spam violations. If you believe you have been rejected unfairly please contact us and we will attempt to resolve it with you.  - Stecrew

Best new foot controller for the original Lexicon JamMan (Read 4661 times)

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
I got this from John S last month. - Bob
---------------------------
Hi bob,

I wrote you before as reference below...  My name is John S.

I am trying to find an ideal controller for the rejam i use.  Most of the problem is finding one to make assignable program change commands.  Most of the modded features would be better accessed through preprogrammed buttons or pads that already have the desired program change dialed in.  I currently have a korg microkontrol which I would consider to be a very versatile controller in almost every way.  But, only CC#'s, note key #s, and midi channel are assignable to the pads.  You can change the program but, it is by pressing a series of buttons which can get very clumsy when you are also trying to time out loop beginnings and endings.    I also tried using a nord lead which from the program change department was a little easier but, the control change aspect was equally as confusing.  For instance switching between even the 3 modes. It would be nice to have a way to tell which mode you have entered from the controller. (like the microcontrol's displays allow)

Anyway, so I have seen your recommended list of mostly foot controllers (most of which are no longer in production) but, even most of those links related to each controller are no longer relevant.    I was wondering if you have gotten any feedback lately about a programmable controller that is the cats meow.  Especially for the Program change part.  By the way the Korg microkontrol I was mentioning above is incredible in regards to the CC commands.  I assigned the 8 encoders to the ones I thought were most useful to me and the best part is there is a digital display above each one that tells you what value increment you are on currently while activating (between 1-127)

My goal is to never look at the rack for confirmation.  And to get something somewhat compact.  it doesn't have to be a foot controller...  but, can be!   Any suggestions would be very appreciated.   

Hope the new year is treating you well! John

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
I was recently asked what currently available foot controller I would recommend to control the original JamMan. I was unable to give an honest answer so I'm opening up the forum for visitors to make suggestions.

The one tricky bit about the original JamMan is that is changes state based on program changes; tap, reset, etc.. This was not really consistent with the intention of the program change messages so there are sometimes problems with certain controllers. Specifically, some controllers don't resend their program change number. You have to send a different program change before it will resend. This is fatal for the JamMan since you need to send the program change for "Tap" multiple times in a row during normal operation.

Another common problem people encounter using foot controllers with the JamMan occurs when discrete buttons are not provided for each program: press number buttons then Enter. No good.

There have been plenty of controllers over the years that work great with the JamMan but I'm not sure how the current offerings fair.