Stec Records Forum

Tools to make music

News: We are back.  We've updated the look of the forum with a new "theme" that works better on mobile devices. Also note that we check all new user requests for spam violations. If you believe you have been rejected unfairly please contact us and we will attempt to resolve it with you.  - Stecrew

Computer won't accept your password (Read 2094 times)

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
#1 Computer won't accept your password
September 17, 2013, 01:17:58 PM
If you are starting up your computer and it is not accepting your password, check to see if your Num-Lock is on.  If your computer's keyboard reuses several of the keys for numbers, when the Num-lock is on you'll be typing the right password but won't see it since the password is usually hidden.

Dumbest thing ever but happened to me recently when I changed the keyboard on my desktop computer. On power up, the new keyboard goes into Num-Lock mode by default (doh!).  It being a new keyboard, I did not notice that the Num-Lock LED was lit. Since it happened to be the Windows startup password there was nowhere to type and see what letters where coming out (if it was a web site log in, I would have immediately noticed the numbers instead of letters showing up in emails).  What could have been a major disaster turned out to be beyond minor so check the Num-Lock LED before throwing yourself out the window.