Stec Records Forum

Tools to make music

News: Note that we've improved the security of the forum by enhancing the sign up form.

Good books for learning to develop on the iPhone (Read 3058 times)

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
A couple more notes about the two books I mentioned: "iPhone in Action" includes an introduction to Objective C and a chapter on audio which are both missing in "Beginning iPhone Development". The lack of information on audio is probably why I passed on Beginning the first time around. I still recommend Beginning if you are just getting started but 'in Action' is worth having around as well (I've gone back to it several times). There are several ways of generating audio on the iPhone and in Action provides a good overview of a couple and points you to the online resources for others.

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
After struggling with "iPhone In Action" for a couple of weeks I stumbled on a preview of "Beginning iPhone Development" and liked what I saw so I bought it. This one is dedicated to the SDK and provides much more concise examples with clear explanations of what you are doing at every step. So far, I like this one a lot. As the title indicates, it's a Beginner book so there are lots of scenarios it doesn't cover but the provided material is excellent. 

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
I've picked up "iPhone In Action" to help learn how to develop for the iPhone using the SDK. It provides a good introduction to a lot of topics but can be a bit tricky for developers like myself who are new to Objective C. Topics are generally introduced only once so you have to go back quite a bit to refresh your memory on how certain things are done. Though it would have made the book a LOT bigger, it would have been helpful to have complete examples. As a long time C and C++ developer, I'm still struggling with the Objective C syntax as it relates to methods and their arguments, especially when dealing with class methods. The description of views vs. controllers vs. delegates could be better as well.

Does anyone have any other recommended reading for iPhone development or Objective C in general?