Stec Records Forum

Tools to make music

News: We are back.  We've updated the look of the forum with a new "theme" that works better on mobile devices. Also note that we check all new user requests for spam violations. If you believe you have been rejected unfairly please contact us and we will attempt to resolve it with you.  - Stecrew

Vortex expanded delay memory (Read 3138 times)

• Administrator
  • Lexicon Repairs
  • Stec Records Forum PD
    • The Jukeyard
#4 Re: Vortex expanded delay memory
March 18, 2011, 02:34:41 PM
Hi Loopman welcome to the forum. I think like Bob says a combination of the hardware and software does not see the added ram, this does not mean it is not their but the unit does not know it's there.

We bought a digital camera back around when SD cards came out, it will not see any card over 500k, this is for the same reason.

It's like here when gas went over 1 us dollar per gallon all the gas stations had to change their gas pumps so now they can calculate gas up to 9.99 per gallon. If gas goes up to 10 dollars or more a gallon in the future they will need to up grade them again.
Mapex Pro M Maple standard, Pearl 800 series cymbal stands, Vex hi hat stand, Pearl P201P double bass pedals, Tama mid level throne, All Zildjian A cymbals, 21" Rock Ride, 18" med thin crash, 16" med thin crash, 10" splash, 14" new beat hi hats.

#3 Re: Vortex expanded delay memory
March 18, 2011, 08:07:14 AM
Hi Bob, i've bought the 4 pshysical  DRAMs and i've soldered them in place of the older 64k DRAM on the mainboard,with no results. Later i discovered that Lexicon people made a newer version of the DSP (named U8 on the schematics), this version was the 1.20, instead my vortex has the dsp 1.0 version, maybe the older software version of my dsp doesn't recognize the installation of the DRAM's ? anyway this is strange, because as i said, i made all the diagnostics required to test the perfect functionality of the DRAM's.
here i'm not able to attach the document, so i will send it to your e-mail

Regards

• Administrator
  • Chief Administrator
  • Time reveals truth.
    • Bob Sellon's Home Page
#2 Re: Vortex expanded delay memory
March 18, 2011, 01:34:09 AM
I'm surprised that the service manual mentions bigger rams. I didn't work on the Vortex I'm almost certain that the useable audio memory cannot be expanded with the released software and I'm not aware of any mods.  I don't think there is any harm in putting bigger rams in but I don't think the software will use it. Sorry.

#1 Vortex expanded delay memory
March 17, 2011, 09:54:57 PM
Hi follks, as stated on the page 4-4 of the Vortex Service Manual, i've changed the default 64K x4 DRAMs ( U15,U18,U20,U21) with 256k x4 DRAMs,with the addition of U10.
I've done this in the hope to expand the delay capabilities of my unit, but after mounting the new 256k DRAMs never changed,at least i'm not able to listen to some changes into the delays,they don't seem to be expanded. I made all the diagnostic required too and every things works fine.
what could be the reason? does somebody has experienced with this matter?does  it could depends on the fact that my Cpu processor is the first version?
let me know,

thank you